TELUGU CINEMASS

Jan 30, 2015

Tollywood Actor Brahmanandam Interview And Profile

Tollywood's favourite funny man Brahmanandam breaks 1000 film record


Brahmanandam's Biography
Film actor
Brahmanandam Kanneganti, is an Indian film actor and comedian. Hailing from Sattenapalli in Andhra Pradesh, he mostly acts in Telugu films. Prior to films, he was a Telugu lecturer in Attili, a town in West Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh.
Born: February 1, 1956 (age 58), Sattenapalle
Height: 1.62 m
Spouse: Lakshmi Kanneganti
Children: Raja Goutham Kanneganti, Sid Kanneganti
Upcoming movie: Vaalu

Brahmanandam Interview
The very sight of Brahmanandam is enough to send people into a fit of laughter. It isn't restricted to his onscreen appearances and the veteran actor hasn't yet figured out why. "Random strangers give out a smile, as though on a cue, the moment they see me. Whether it is five-year-old or a 60-something woman, the initial reaction is the same. Don't ask me why? I honestly don't know," says Tollywood's favourite funny man shrugging his shoulders. Perhaps it's the collective memory of 1000-plus films spread over three decades. "It's just a count. For me, the thousandth film is no different from my eleventh one," he says. The man doesn't quite remember which film is his 1000th film though. "I stopped keeping track after 997th film sometime last year," says Brahmanandam who hopes to take time out next month to zero in on which film was the landmark one. He believes it all boils down to "God's grace."

You must have done something right to have stayed relevant after all these years?
Every man aspires to do something with his life, which is why I believe it isn't me that is the reason. I'm sure every actor works as hard as me, if not more. But people haven't gotten tired of me yet. That's why I believe that perhaps God sent me into this world to do just that — make people laugh.

Your parents couldn't have chosen a better name for you...
A good friend's son once asked who invented Brahmanandam? (Smiles) My dad never told me why he named me Brahmanandam (the happiness of the universe) but that's precisely what I'm saying. I did not even choose my name. What are the chances of a Telugu teacher, born in a little-known town like Sattenapalle, landing in the world of cinema and becoming one of the most loved actors of all time? Talent is a combination of perfect comic timing, diction, modulation, great script writing and most importantly, an invincible will, if you may call it so. There are so many actors who aren't the most talented but go on to become very successful stars. It's just that the screenplay and scene order changes depending on their destiny.

You are set to turn 59. Happy with the way your life has panned out?
Oh yes. It's a great gift to be able to make people laugh. I'm the seventh child among eight siblings and have always had a gift for art. I am good with clay-modelling and can sketch reasonably well. I knew that I could make people laugh from the time I was a child. It was my good friend MCV Sashidhar, who was the chief programming officer at DD-8, who saw me doing my thing at popular writer Adi Vishnu's place. He suggested it would be nice to record my stand-up comedy and air it on TV. Late Jandhyala garu spotted me and gave me my first film back in 1985. So, I'd like to believe that my success isn't all my doing. A lot of times my introduction scene have the camera zooming in on my bald patch yet the audience burst out laughing. It's funny. It's been a fabulous journey. But even 15 years ago; I had the same talent then, so why didn't I get so much fame and recognition back then?

Even after three decades you are just as busy? Doesn't it all get a little tiring? 
I do plan to go easy and be more selective with my films from now on. There is an old saying, Kotha neellu vachi patha neellu pothuntayi kani gattu ki unna paachi matram undipothundi alane (Fresh water replaces the old water, but the moss stays in its place). I guess that explains my longevity.
Director Trivikram Srinivas once told me 'You wait for hours for a darshan of God, but in one moment you connect with God and forget everything else. I'm not comparing you to God but people tend to forget everything else and laugh out loud when watching you.' I guess I'm just playing out a role written by somebody else. People often ask me, if there are any characters left that I would like to play. As Sri Sri once famously said Saadhinchinadaniki itu santhrupthini pondi ade vijayamanukunte porapataya.... (It is wrong to feel satisfied with what you have achieved.) I'll continue doing it as long as the show goes on.

Your life makes for a great story. Would it make a funny film as well?
Who knows? I'm hoping to map my life story down in my biography. I'm also penning a book about my experiences with God. My life is a bitter example of God's will — he made me a joker. And it's something that I've known all my life.

0 Comments: